Thursday, August 24, 2017

I Love Reading! by Terri Weldon

I love books! It doesn’t matter if it’s a novella, a short story, a 60,000 word romance, or a 400 page blockbuster. I’ll read romance, cozy mysteries, heart stopping suspense, young adult, speculative fiction, or a host of other genres. And while I predominantly read CBA books I love good ABA books as well. If it has words sandwiched between a front and back cover then I’ll read it. So today I thought it would be fun to talk about reading books because most the writers I know love to read.

Books have been some of my favorite friends from the time I was a young girl. The Boxcar Children, Pippi Longstocking, and Cherry Ames, are titles I remember reading as a child. I’m the youngest in my family and it wasn’t long before I branched out and began reading the titles my older sisters read. I think reading those books at a young age stretched my reading ability and strengthened my vocabulary. Sure, I probably read a few things I shouldn’t have, but I survived. 

Two of my sisters read Harlequin Presents and Harlequin Romances. Be still my heart. When I began reading Harlequins I found an endless supply of books to devour. I loved those books! Carole Mortimer wrote books about 18 year old girls and as a young teen I could identify with them. And Janet Dailey, I couldn’t wait to see what state she had written about every month. I fell in love with Travis from A Land Called Deseret
 
As time went on new publishers and authors emerged – Diana Palmer, Elizabeth Lowell, Anne Stuart, and Stephanie James. This was before I discovered Christian fiction. Oh, but when the short lived line of Inspiration Romances came out I devoured them and mourned when the line went under. Later, to my utter delight Harlequin started the Love Inspired line. It was while reading Love Inspired that I first dreamed of becoming a Christian Romance author. 
 
When I discovered Christian Romantic Suspense I found my heart’s desire. Terri Blackstock, Colleen Coble, Brandilyn Collins, and Lynette Eason have provided me with countless hours of reading enjoyment. To date I have only published romances, but I’m busy working away on suspense novels. 
 
Even while writing I love to read. I’m reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban on my lunch hour at work, I just finished reading House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker and On Her Majesty’s Frightfully Secret Service by Rhys Bowen. Currently I have two books going at home – Innocent Lies by Robin Patchen and The Rain Sparrow by Linda Goodnight. Innocent Lies isn’t currently for sale, I’m fortunate to get to do an early read. But the first three books in the series are available. 
 
Oh, and I can’t forget Debbie Macomber. I just reread one of her older titles and have a new hardback on my night stand. I adore Debbie’s writing. 
  
Well, I’ve talked long enough about my reading habits. How about you? If you’re a writer, who or what did you read that inspired you to become an author? If you’re a reader, share some things you love and some things you hate that authors do. And whether you are a reader or a writer I hope you’ll tell me what you are currently reading.
Terri Weldon is a lead analyst by day and an award winning author by night. Her novella The Christmas Bride Wore Boots won the best novella category in the 2016 Lyra Awards. She enjoys traveling, gardening, reading, spending time with her family, and shopping for shoes. One of her favorite pastimes is volunteering as the librarian at her church. It allows her to shop for books and spend someone else’s money! Plus, she has the great joy of introducing people to Christian fiction. She lives with her family in the Heartland of the United States. Terri has two adorable Westies – Crosby and Nolly Grace. Terri is a member of ACFW and RWA. She is a member of the Seriously Write Team (www.seriouslywrite.blogspot.com). Readers can connect with Terri at www.terriweldon.com


A Match Made in Sheffield by Terri Weldon— Natalie Benton bounced from one foster home to another until she landed on Ellie Alexander’s doorstep. Natalie’s vagabond childhood caused her to yearn for a secure life, which led to Natalie’s five-year plan: complete her law degree, marry the perfect man, become a partner at Montgomery, Haynes, and Preston, and produce one child. Getting arrested wasn’t in Natalie’s plan. Needing a public defender wasn’t in her plan. Falling for Grady Hunter, her public defender, definitely wasn’t in her plan. Can Grady convince Natalie there is more to life than her five-year plan? Is Ellie the only one who sees a future for Natalie and Grady?

Buy Links
Amazon Kindle & Print: http://amzn.to/2pb4HuK 
Nook, iBooks & Kobo: https://www.books2read.com/u/3neJnB
Barnes & Noble Print: http://bit.ly/2qbmqEtMatchmakers