Monday, May 1, 2017

Accommodating the Writing Life by Annette M. Irby



 
blue-purple pansies growing in a container*

Spring may finally be arriving here in the Pacific Northwest. Here's hoping. Right now, the outdoor temp is about 50 degrees, with winds and gloomy skies. That works for me today because I’m working in my office. But we could use some warmer weather and clear skies soon. We’ve set some records in my region for rainfall and gloomy days so far this year. Yay! 😉

I love flowers. I’m may be allergic to most of them, but I love how they brighten up a view and reinforce life. With my back limitations, I must be careful about digging in the ground and lifting, so I’ve found a way to work around those limitations. I container garden. This way, my “hopefuls” are off the ground (away from pests) and up where I can tend them with ease. So, I get to enjoy them, rearrange the pots at will, and I don’t risk my back while I do.

The writing life is the same way, and we make accommodations, don’t we? Rising before the sun so you have some time to write. Ergo-dynamic keyboards. Wrist braces for carpal tunnel syndrome. A notepad beside the bed for middle-of-the-night inspiration. Standing desks. Work glasses with anti-glare. Enlarged/zoomed-in font sizes. Caffeine. Scheduling writing time around a day job or other obligations. Sacrificing. Refueling for inspiration. We make time for conferences, workshops, writing retreats, critique group meetings, marketing, book signings. So many accommodations.

Why?

Because we can’t not write. We’re called. Story ideas burn inside us. We’re on a deadline! Makes one glad for our writing community. Other “abnormals” who “get us.” And God, who freely grants us grace.

I’ve just launched a reader circle group on Facebook where I can share details about my next book (which will release this summer, yippee! I'll share more news here on SW when we get closer). Marketing takes me outside my comfort zone. Yesterday I had a photo shoot for my book’s back cover headshot. Traipsing through a public place with a photographer, drawing attention. Oh, the concessions we introverted writers must make. (Extroverted writers do too, of course.) Some accommodations are more comfortable than others. But all are part of the writerly life. And we make those concessions so we can succeed and walk out our callings in faithfulness, no matter what stage we’re in.

How about you? What types of concessions have you had to make for your writing life? How do you face the less comfortable ones? 

Write on, friends! 

~~~~~~~


Husband Material by Annette M. Irby

Wyatt Hansen has no fears about commitment, but only three years have passed since his beloved wife died, and he can't bring himself to break their annual dinner date—that is until he meets restaurant owner, Lara Farr. Lara doesn't have time for romance; she has a business to run. At least that's what she tells herself so she doesn't have to admit that commitment scares her. But Lara's business is failing, and it just may take a miracle—or marketing analyst, Wyatt Hansen—to save it. Can Wyatt rescue Lara’s restaurant, help her overcome her fears, and prove he is good husband material?


~~~~~~~


Annette M. Irby




Annette M. Irby is a freelance editor and Christian fiction author who dabbles in gardening and photography. She has completely fallen in love with her grandson. She enjoys spending time with her family and husband of over twenty-five years. You can learn more about Annette by visiting her website or her page here on Seriously Write. 



Connect with me at:
Twitter: @AnnetteMIrby
Book Review Website: www.annetteirby.com


Photo credit: copyright 2017 Annette M. Irby